Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rugby, the Red Sea, and cute Englishmen!

So I joined rugby last week and just completed the second practice of the season. I'm just adding bruises unto bruises at this point! Last week's practice was more conditioning than this week, so that was a bit of a relief! I'm also a lot more comfortable with the rules of the game now. It's really difficult to get used to throwing the ball behind you, but once you get over that, it starts coming more naturally. This time, a couple of the guys talked me into joining the informal touch game that starts every practice. I get so nervous! But I jumped in there and at least tried, so that must count for something, right? On Sundays, they have conditioning at the field, so I'm going to start doing that as well. What a great way to get exercise. And I love all the French girls on the team. Their accents are so awesome!! Me and accents. I am fascinated by them all.

Speaking of accents, at the first practice last week, I noticed a handsome player and was very happy to see him at the after practice hang out. We started up a conversation and I'm just a sucker for his Manchester accent. I could listen to him all day. Especially when all the other Brits get to talking quickly and you can't understand ANYTHING they say. They have so many different idioms and phrases and words! He's been in Cairo for 5 years, so he also speaks Arabic, which is pretty awesome and very useful around here. Anyway, I met a lot of other fun people that night and had a blast! My Texas accent is pretty thick, so I think I was a sort of mascot that night for all things Southern. Turns out my new friend is a golf pro and manages hotels around here. He invited me down to the Red Sea this past Thursday to check out one of the resorts there and get some sunbathing in. What a magical day that was! The spa was absolutely amazing. I got a massage while I was there and, as usual, was amazed at the very affordable pricing. An hour massage comes to $55 American dollars. At a spa. Not bad at all!! I also visited the sauna and heated pool and private beach. The food was also great. It wasn't as "Egyptian" as a lot of the places around here. And I went into the Red Sea for the first time!! I just can't help but think of Biblical stories when I visit places like this and they are everywhere. It's truly amazing. What was really cool about the Red Sea was how shallow it is for so far out. And I was able to wear my bikini again, which is just so exciting for some reason!

All in all, I'd say I'm very glad I joined rugby for the camaraderie of a team sport and also to meet people from so many different walks of life. Next week is a pub crawl downtown with the team and there are cool t-shirts available afterwards, so I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment