Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Beggars and tissues

I don't encourage begging or panhandling. In Cairo, the method is to try to sell you a little pack of tissues. "Why tissues?" you might wonder. I wondered the same thing. Until I was here for a few days and realized that I would now be a person who suffered from allergies after many years of being free from them (after I moved away from the pine trees in East Texas!). Along with my pharmaceutical arsenal, I now never go anywhere without tissues. They come in handy for so many things...blowing your nose, wiping your eyes, wiping your hands after washing, and as toilet paper if you happen to forget to look for the toilet paper as you sit down. I like the idea of paying someone for a product rather than just paying them to look sad, and I would rather buy the tissues from beggars than stores, so that's my new way to procure tissues!

As for my allergies, let's just say I'm currently a bit miserable. My left eye is almost swollen shut and everytime I use my eye drops, it feels like there is a big pebble rolling around on my eye. I think a piece of dust made its way under my eyelid and scratched up my eye, but I'm also feeling other allergy type symptoms, so it's an all around miserable experience! I purchased some Zyrtec from the pharmacy and that has helped, so now I have one more thing to add to my arsenal.

And that's all I have to say about that (in my best Forrest Gump voice).

No comments:

Post a Comment