Monday, September 24, 2012

Rugby, Cairo Hospitals and ACLs

Long story short: I have some sort of sprain to my ACL or MCL or meniscus or something! I don't trust the doctors at the hospital, and have done extensive research since I've been home, but I think I've just strained my ACL, not torn it. I'll be getting a second opinion ASAP. I got my first MRI and I am in possession of the film, so getting a second opinion shouldn't be difficult. Everything's much more straightforward over here at least (in terms of health care if nothing else!)

First rugby game and boom! Twisted knee! That's life for ya, isn't it? I wasn't expecting to jump into the full contact game and twist my knee the very first time I was tackled! I've heard enough similar stories that I shouldn't feel too bad, but it's hard not feeling super foolish when it happens to you. Nicole, the teacher at my school that initially introduced me to the rugby team, actually fractured her collarbone in the same game. I hope both of us heal quickly!!

I had a super horrible day today at home. It was a big pity party...until I got a text from a certain someone telling me to work on my novel since I have the time. I have to admit, it was a quick way to bring me out of my funk. After a few minutes of being extremely angry that I had been called out, of course. I just started feeling sorry for myself thinking of all the cardio I would be missing out on and worrying about gaining weight and hoping I won't have to have surgery to fix this ACL and soon enough, it was like the end of the world at Casa Thomason.

The hospital was mildly shocking, but not as bad as expected. I had heard a couple of horror stories about Egyptian hospitals, but I didn't find it to be TOO bad. Now, do I think I got the best possible service? Not really. I practically had to throw a hissy fit to get them to give me an MRI. They took an x-ray and tried to wrap up my knee and send me home. I'm trying to be nice here, but let's just say it's a little nerve wracking to have to explain to a doctor that I need something that will look at my ligaments NOT my bones. I knew walking in there that I hadn't broken any bones, but I know they always have to do an x-ray. But I could tell there was more going on with my knee than a simple strain, so there was NO way I was walking out of there without an MRI. When I walked off the field after the game was over, my knee was moving sideways. If that makes sense. It didn't hurt and I didn't hear a pop when it happened, but it definitely did not feel right and it was frightening to see my knee wobbling around in ways it never had before.

As for the MRI, I guess I had a very vague sense of what it is. I knew it was that creepy tunnel machine that's shown in movies and the person goes in there and it's tight and claustrophobic and there's someone over the intercom asking them if they're doing okay throughout the procedure. I've always thought, "What wussies." haha. I didn't even go halfway into the machine and it was horrible. It's hard to explain the feeling of sitting through that. The nurse told me right before it started not to move my knee or we'd have to start over. Easier said than done. The magnetic field produced does something to your nerves and it took all my will power not to kick my leg. It was like the physical version of wanting to scream in a library. I can't explain it very well, but it was pretty intense. And loud! They gave me headphones with Arabic music playing - LOUDLY - and I was very thankful for that by the end of the session!

We had fun after the rugby game, though. I will be attending all the practices and games even if I can't participate, because I like the comraderie and I want to keep learning the rules and strategies.

Being silly after the huddle:
 Leaving the field after the game. My knee was feeling pretty weird:
 The team (not all of us made it that day, so there are a few missing):
Good looking guy there on the left, huh? I think so! This was at the after party. Josh and Jim:
My knee after the game. I felt silly propping it up, like I was being melodramatic, but I'm glad I did that now!:
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment