Tuesday, September 18, 2012

GI Problems and Pharmacies

A word about intestinal issues in Egypt. The rumor is that EVERYONE will get horribly sick at least once while here. I've had only one rough night and that was the night we spent in Alexandria after being in Cairo a couple of weeks. It was horrible. I was in the bathroom all night. And that was the last time I found myself without pharmaceuticals on my person at all times! I now am a walking pharmacy. If you have ANY type of gastrointestinal issue, I have the pill for you. I'm like the corner drug dealer. "You got cramping? I've got what you need. Diarrhea? Constipation? Nausea? I got what you need. Right here. Come a little closer..." I would be creeped out a bit by my behavior except it calms me. I never have to worry about getting sick as long as I'm prepared!

I'm still in awe of this product called Antinal. It's marketed as an intestinal "antiseptic," whatever that means. I've looked up the active ingredient and I still can't figure out what it is and what makes it work, but it works for me like a charm. If I start to have any rumbling or cramping or anything even remotely resembling diarrhea, I take an Antinal and it's gone.

In all my research before coming to Egypt, I noticed that everyone has their own personal miracle drug that they use when they live here. And it's good to find that product, because normal medicines we use back in the states don't work here in Cairo. For instance, I've heard Immodium doesn't do jack for Pharaoh's Revenge. Or Pepto. Or Milk of Magnesia. So what you do is walk to your nearest pharmacy (and they are everywhere. Like Starbucks or McDonalds in the states) and you tell them your symptoms and they hand you some medicine. I did this several times (explaining the same type of symptoms) and got several different medicines, which led me to the discovery that Antinal is my drug of choice. And it's all very, very cheap. For instance, 24 capsules of Antinal is around 10 pounds, which translates to less than $2. And that will last you through at least a week's worth of belly issues.

The pharmacies themselves are as varied as...well, they're all different. (My metaphor bank is completely empty at the moment). Each one has its own charms, but you can find anything you need or want. When I bent down in rugby the other night and noticed a twinge in my knee, I was able to go to the nearest pharmacy the next morning and buy a cloth knee brace. You can find whatever you want - as long as it's not a teeth whitening kit. Ugh! Why is it that I can go and buy lube and condoms if I want in this religion-based country, but can't find a single teeth whitening kit? (Not saying I've done this, but I noticed an array of these products the other day at the corner pharmacy and thought about how very embarassing it would be to have to buy something like this in one of these small pharmacies!) It's a very interesting problem. It is now my mission to find a kit. Every pharmacy I visit, I ask for the kit. Most of the pharmacists are completely perplexed at what I'm even asking for. I have even looked in the huge supermarkets (think Walmart) and not found this. I've found these little miniature tubs of teeth powder, and got a bit excited, until I realized it was just dry toothpaste! I've been told that you have to go to your dentist to get this done, and it is very affordable, but I'd much rather just go get the kit. Ah, the kit...

On a brighter note, you can also buy what we consider prescription drugs over the counter here. When we first arrived, and the group of us were going to the big Carrefour store to stock up on household supplies, I made a list of anything I could possibly want that would normally be a doctor's visit. I knew there must be a pharmacy in the mall. I was not disappointed. I got generic Retin-A for any acne breakouts, Ibuprofen tablets for random headaches (I had to look up the brand name for it here, which is Brufen), sleep aids (because I was having a horrible time with insomnia when we first got here), the antibiotic Cipro, and Flagyl, an antiobiotic that also kills some kinds of parasites. There were more meds that I can't remember at the moment. The point is, though, that you can get just about anything without a prescription if you know the medical name for it and it's not a controlled substance like Xanax (although I hear you can get Valium and other muscle relaxers).

2 comments:

  1. If you don't find the whitening kit, you can sub it out with a hydrogen peroxide and baking soda concoction. I use this now instead of strips, and it only takes about one brushing of that cocktail per week to equate to the same results as the kits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a lifesaver!! Thanks! I'll start looking for hydrogen peroxide... :-)

    ReplyDelete