Thursday, October 18, 2012

Much better week!

I went to the gym last night for the first time since my injury. I actually walked, instead of taking a taxi (Well, I was halfway there when a rugby friend happened to drive by and gave me a lift the rest of the way. He said I seemed pretty sad limping down the side of the road!) I did 25 minutes on the stationary bike and then did some upper body work. It felt really good to get back into the swing of things. The muscle in my left leg has detiorated a lot, but I was very nervous about putting any weight on it, considering I was getting so many conflicting reports about what my actual injury was. So I played it safe and kept using my crutch. Now I have to work the muscles back up and then get them even stronger than before to prevent something like this happening again. I'm going to go to rugby practice next week and do some light cardio with the girls and then do as much as I can during practice that doesn't involve any pivoting, tackling, etc. I'm considering wearing my big brace for this to keep my knee stable.

I went to the last few minutes of rugby this Tuesday and then to the BCA (British Community Association) with the team afterwards for some drinks. I'm pretty excited - we're going to go to the beach town of Sharm el Sheikh the weekend of November 1st. It's about a 6 hour drive, but I can't afford to buy plane tickets for both me and Chloe. I found out that guys have organized a bus road trip, but was wavering about going because they cancelled the girls games for that weekend. I found out Tuesday, though, that a few of the girls are going, as well as a couple of the guys' wives, so Chloe and I are back in on the trip! I can't wait for some beach time and cheering on of the guys, without having to worry about being sad watching the girls play.

For the EID holiday, Chloe and I are going to spend 4 days at Le Meridien, the cool hotel with the view of the Giza pyramids. A bit of a staycation. Woo hoo! Pool time, book time, the pyramid light show, watching EID festivies...it's going to be a relaxing few days Insha-Allah (God willing). (Practicing my Arabic!)

The EID holiday is an interesting one. I found a pretty good explanation of it through an Islam website. Basically, during the celebration of Eid al-Adha, Muslims remember what Abraham went through by slaughtering an animal such as a sheep, camel, or goat. (I've heard of some richer families slaughtering cows as well). One-third of the meat is eaten by immediate family and relatives, one-third is given away to friends, and one-third is donated to the poor. The act symbolizes the Muslims' willingness to give up things in order to strengthen family, friendships, and to help those who are in need.

I have heard that there will be a sacrifice here at school. I can't wait to see that. I can't wait to see the city slaughters as well. I've heard they can be quite...bloody.

The teachers also have a chance here at the school to donate money during this time to give to the dudas and matrons. The students are also encouraged to bring certain items, such as sugar and rice, to donate to the women.

Tonight there is a rugby party/fundraiser at the BCA that I will be attending (well, actually, I'm selling tickets, but still fun). Afterwards I might go to a birthday party of a fellow expat. Depending on how I'm feeling at that point, of course. Then, Friday night a teacher friend is having an early Halloween party. The theme is dressing up as something that can be found on Road 9. (A busy street in Maadi). I'm going to go as a dirty cat. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment